1. Say "Good morning" to a person standing next to you in the elevator.
2. Pay the toll for the driver behind you.
3. Offer to pick up groceries for an elderly neighbor, especially in extreme weather.
4. Give a homeless person your to go box.
5. Put a coin in an expired meter with an occupied parking space.
6. Help a mother carry her baby stroller up the stairs, or hold a door open for her.
7. Each time you get a new item of clothing, give away something old.
8. Bring your assistant coffee.
9. Out of the blue, send flowers to a friend.
10. When you're on a crowded train or bus, offer your seat to an elderly, disabled or pregnant person.
11. Let a fellow driver merge into your lane.
12. Offer to baby-sit for a single mom.
13. Call or write to a teacher who changed your life.
14. Bring a box of doughnuts to share at the office.
15. Forgive someone a debt–and never bring it up again.
16. Write a note to the boss of someone who helps you, and explain how great a job that person is doing.
17. Throw away your trash—and someone else's—after a movie, picnic or visit to a park.
18. Encourage someone who seems despondent.
19. Volunteer to take care of a friend's dog while he is vacationing.
20. Offer change when the person in front of you at the register comes up short.
21. Pass along a great book you've just finished reading.
From the December 2000 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine.